Effective Date: November 29, 2012
- What is the personal information that we collect?
- Why do we collect personal information?
- How do we collect your personal information?
- How do we use personal information?
- With whom do we share personal information?
- How do we secure personal information?
- How do we respect your choices about your personal information?
- Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
1. What is the personal information that we collect?
Depending on how you choose to interact with the Nota Reader Websites, we may collect personal information from you, for example your name, e-mail address, billing address, shipping address, phone number and credit card information. We may also collect other information (i) regarding your interaction with Nota Reader Websites; (ii) regarding your interaction with any Nota Reader mobile applications distributed or sold by Nota Reader, including any related third party mobile device and user information (collectively "Retail Apps"), or (iv) that you otherwise provide to us, including your use of Devices, purchase history and online browsing of products and services.TOC
2. Why do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information in an effort to provide you with a superior customer experience and, as necessary, to administer our business. It allows us to provide you with easy access to our products and services, with a particular focus on the items and programs that may be of most interest to you. For more information as to why we collect personal information, please see the section below entitled: "How do we use your personal information?"
Your personal information also allows us to communicate with you about special offers, promotions, and other marketing programs and news that may be of interest to you. You always have the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional emails by following the instructions included in each marketing email or by changing your preferences in your "Nota Reader" account .TOC
3. How do we collect your personal information?
(a). Information that you provide to us
As a general matter, you can browse on the Nota Reader Websites without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or placing an order
- Creating an account online or in App
- Submitting a customer review, an annotation, or other user-created content
- Participating in an online interactive community
- Creating a â€œNota Reader" or "Primerâ€ Profile
- Contacting customer service
- Additional Website or Retail App Features
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Making a purchase or placing an order
When you make a purchase or place an order in App or place an order online, you may need to submit personal information to us.
Creating an account online or in App
You must create a Nota Reader account using your email, Facebook or Twitter account to purchase or download eBooks, digital magazines, digital newspapers, digital journals and other periodicals, blogs, or other digital content ("Digital Content"), to complete your online order, to add annotations and participate in the online interactive community. To create any of these accounts, we may ask you to provide us with personal information. If you use your online account to make a purchase or download, we will use the personal information stored in your account and/or require you to input additional personal information, such as credit card information, to complete your order or download.
Submitting an annotation or other user-created content
You may choose to submit an annotation or participate in our online interactive community. Because any information you choose to post will be available on the Internet, we can make no assurances that others will not use, or misuse, that information.
Creating a "Nota Reader" Profile
You may choose to submit personal information when you create a Nota Reader profile on a Nota Reader Website or in our Retail Apps.
Contacting Customer Service
When you contact customer service, we may ask you to provide, or confirm, personal information so that we can better serve you.
Additional Website or Retail App Features
From time to time we may offer or provide new or additional Nota Reader Website or Retail App features and functionality. Such features or functionality may request or require you to submit personal information to us in order to use such feature or functionality.
(b) Information automatically collected
There are circumstances in which we automatically receive and collect information from you. The most common sources of this information include:
- Pixel tags or clear Graphics Interchange Format files, known as GIFs
- Your Retail Apps you use
- Business partners, contractors, shared databases, and other third parties who may occasionally share information with us
For your convenience, we have provided a summary description of each of these circumstances below.
Information automatically collected when you visit Nota Reader Websites
When you visit a Nota Reader Website, we automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit such Nota Reader Website. For example, we may receive and collect: the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using; the date and time you access the Nota Reader Website; and the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to the Nota Reader Website. We use this information to monitor the usage of the Nota Reader Websites and as necessary for our business.
Information collected using cookies
Browsers are typically set to create cookies automatically. You can choose to have your browser notify you when cookies are being written to your computer or accessed, or you can disable cookies entirely. If you disable cookies, however, you will not be able to place items in a Nota Reader shopping cart, and therefore you will not be able to place an order with us online. Also, by not using cookies, some Nota Reader Website features and services may not function properly.
Site Analytics: We may work with a third party service provider to help us better understand how you use the Nota Reader Websites. This third party service provider may place cookies on your computer to collect information. The information a third party service provider collects will tell us things like which search engine referred you to the Nota Reader Website, how you navigated around the Nota Reader Website, what you purchased and what traffic is driven by banner ads and emails. This information will help us to better serve you and provide you with more personalized information and product offerings. We will not allow any third party service provider to collect your credit card information, e-mail address or password information. A third party service provider may only use your personal information to perform services for us. A third party service provider is contractually required to maintain all of the information it collects and analyzes for us securely and in confidence. A third party service provider may not share your personal information with anyone else, or use it for any other purpose, except on an aggregate, non-personal basis.
By doing business with or interacting with Nota Reader, you consent to the use of the tracking technologies as described above.
Information collected using pixel tags or clear GIFs
To help us understand the effectiveness of certain of our communications and marketing efforts, we may use "message format" and "message open" sensing technologies that use pixel tags or clear GIFs (which are also called web beacons). These technologies allow us to know if your e-mail program is able to accept HTML e-mails and, if it is, to: (1) send you e-mails in that format; and (2) determine if you have opened our e-mail messages. For this purpose, we tie the pixel tags and clear gifs to personally identifiable information.
Information collected from Retail Apps
When you use our Retail Apps, we automatically collect information through the Device or Retail App when it is connected to the Internet. For example, we may receive and collect information concerning device registration, settings, usage, firmware version, search queries, downloads, sideloaded content, configuration, and or service information relating to any malfunction of the Device or Retail App.
In addition, to provide location-based services on Devices or through Retail Apps, Nota Reader and third party application providers may automatically collect geographic location information (including real-time geographic location) or other location-based information about you and your Device or other mobile device on which the Retail App is installed. This information may be used to provide certain device or application functionality or to offer, provide and improve products and services.
Information collected from outside sources
We may periodically collect personal information and other information about you from business partners, contractors and other third parties. This includes, but is not limited to, instances in which you affirmatively authorize third parties to provide us with information. Such information may be collected via, but not limited to, software applications that you download.
This information may be used for a number of purposes including sending postal mail and e-mail, fulfilling orders, removing repetitive or unnecessary information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing support, customer authentication, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), providing customer service , and processing credit card payments.
Information collected from visitors from outside the United States
If you are visiting Nota Reader or a Nota Reader Website from outside the United States and provide us with personal information, please note that your personal information will be transferred, stored and processed within the United States. Additionally, Nota Reader may transfer your personal information to other countries, for example because a server or third party service provider is located there. The data protection and privacy laws of other countries, including the United States, may not afford you the same level of protection as those in your own country. Nota Reader will take appropriate steps to protect your information.
By doing business or interacting with Nota Reader, you are consenting to the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information to and within facilities located in the United States and other facility locations selected by Nota Reader.TOC
4. How do we use personal information?
Nota Reader uses your personal information to provide you with a superior customer experience at our stores and on and through the Nota Reader Websites and Retail Apps, and, as necessary, to administer our business. For example, we use your personal information to:
- Provide you with products and services and information, including the Nota Reader Websites and online interactive communities, Digital Content, your Retail Apps and software, and display associated content and advertising;
- Provide customer service;
- Conduct research and perform analysis in order to measure, maintain, protect, develop and improve our products and services;
- Administer sweepstakes, contests, promotions or surveys and provide appropriate notifications;
- Communicate with you about special offers, events, or new products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize and enhance the Nota Reader Websites and advertising;
- Make communications necessary to notify you regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues;
- Manage our business.
5. With whom do we share personal information?
Protecting the privacy and security of your personal information is a priority at Nota Reader. Nota Reader DOES NOT SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES provided that your data may be transferred to or shared with a third party as part of a sale, merger, or acquisition of Nota Reader or one of its affiliates (see "Sales, Mergers, and Acquisitions" below).
Nota Reader shares your personal information with:
- Other entities within the Nota Reader enterprise. Many of our customers purchase items from us both online and in App. We share your personal information within the Nota Reader enterprise (i) to help to ensure that you have a superior shopping or browsing experience no matter where you choose to shop or browse with us, (ii) to provide customer support and related services, (iii) to provide other services and products that might be of interest to you, (iv) to provide and/or manage certain cross-company promotions or programs, (v) to facilitate purchases content (or other products) from within the Nota Reader enterprise, (vi) in connection with our commercial arrangements and business relationships within the Nota Reader enterprise, and (vii) as otherwise reasonably determined to provide a comprehensive retail and digital content experience for our joint customers.
- Partners. We provide personal information to our partners that provide product and service offerings or technologies that we think may be of interest to you. Our partnerships may also result in products and services that allow you to publish Digital Content that may be shared with our partners. We may offer you the opportunity to opt-in to receive information from our partners, which may result in your personal information being shared with our partners. The use of your information by our partners and their vendors and contractors will be subject to the privacy policies of our vendors once such information is transferred.
- Service providers, subcontractors and agents who perform services on our behalf. We provide personal information to third party service providers, subcontractors, and agents that work under contract on our behalf to provide certain services. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Nota Reader. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Third party providers of products and services. These are third parties that provide products and services you may purchase or request from or through us. These third parties do not have the right to use personal information we provide to them in any way that is not authorized by Nota Reader or explicitly permitted by you. They are contractually obligated to use such information only as necessary to assist us, or as you have explicitly permitted, and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such information.
- Credit Card Companies. Credit card transactions are handled by third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors who receive credit card numbers and other personal information from us to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions. Although Nota Reader's treatment of this information is governed by this policy, the use of your information by the third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors will be subject to their own privacy policies.
- Law enforcement officials and as required by law. Nota Reader may release personal information to third parties when we determine, in our judgment, that it is necessary to (a) comply with the law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce or apply the terms of any of our policies or user agreements; or (c) protect the rights, property or safety of Nota Reader, our employees, our customers, users, or others.
To Fulfill Your Requests For Products or Services. In connection with some Digital Content orders placed on Nota Reader Websites, in order to complete your transaction, we may need to forward your name, book, magazine, catalog or newspaper order, email address, and shipping or billing address to our content providers. The content providers will share your order information as well as your name and address, or name and e-mail and shipping or billing addresses with the publisher and/or circulation auditors. Publishers may use this information to fulfill your order and for other purposes. Your credit card information will not be shared with them.
6. How do we secure personal information?
We take significant and appropriate security measures, including physical, technological and procedural measures, to help to safeguard your personal information and to prevent unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use industry-standard technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology in the transmission of certain sensitive personal information, designed to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information, and, as technology develops, we intend to take additional measures to improve security.
We want you to feel confident whenever you visit us on the Nota Reader Websites or otherwise. While we are focused on the security of your personal information and follow strict standards, processes and procedures that are designed to protect your personal information, you must remember that the Internet is a global communications vehicle open to threats, viruses and intrusions from others and so we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that we will be able to protect your personal information at all times and in all circumstances.TOC
7. How do we respect your choices about your personal information?
When you interact with Nota Reader in certain ways, you may be eligible to receive certain marketing-related and promotional communications as well as special offers (collectively "Promotional Communications") from Nota Reader that may include advertisements from third parties. The most common of these circumstances include:
- Making a purchase or download or placing an order
- Creating an account online or in-App
- Joining the Nota Reader online community
- Signing up with eBookstores operated by Nota Reader
- Entering a sweepstakes or a contest
- Where you have consented to receiving Promotional Communications from the Nota Reader enterprise, you may choose to opt out at any time. Even if you opt-out of receiving Promotional Communications, you may continue to receive e-mails relating to order confirmations, back order notifications, membership information, and/or other business-related communications.
Note for Community Users
Nota Reader provides you with the ability to access, correct, change or request deletion of the personal information in your community profile(s) at any time. We will respond to all access requests within 30 days. However, you cannot currently change your profile name although you may re-register and choose a new name. Please be advised that Nota Reader may archive information it collects on its community and visitors. Additionally, by participating in the Nota Reader online interactive community, and using Nota Reader's various interactive offerings, you agree to receive communications from Nota Reader, other users and moderators related to the provision of these services.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.TOC
8. Whom do I contact if I have questions or concerns?
Nota Reader Policies for Minors, including Children under the age of 13.
Except as noted below with respect to Minors: (i) our products and services are marketed for and directed towards purchase by adults or with the consent of adults; (ii) Individuals under the age of 18 ("Minors") are not permitted to use Nota Reader Websites or Retail Apps without the supervision of a parent or legal guardian; (iii) we do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for an online account or to post personal information on the Nota Reader Websites; and (iv) should we learn that someone under the age of 13 has provided any personal information to or on any of the Nota Reader Websites, we will remove that information as soon as possible.
Nota Reader does not permit Minors to create a master account with Nota Reader. If you are a parent or guardian believes your child under the age of 13 has submitted personal information or other information to Nota Reader without your consent, please contact email@example.com. Once Nota Reader verifies that you are the parent or legal guardian, at your request, Nota Reader will promptly provide to you information regarding what, if any, personal information Nota Reader has collected about your child and how it has been used or shared. Nota Reader will, at your request, remove personal information about your child from its database and instruct our affiliates and third party partners to do the same. Nota Reader is committed to complying with all applicable laws and regulations regarding the collection, storage and use of personal information of children under the age of 13, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998.
Your access rights and updates to your information
You have the right to ask us not to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You also have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies rectified. Please note that, as permitted by law, we may charge a nominal fee for information requests and may require you to prove your identity. Following a request, we will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you in our files. Please address written requests and questions about this to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to all access requests within 30 days.
Third Party Websites and Web-Tracking
We may partner with third party distributors of advertisements to deliver advertisements about our products and services when you visit other websites across the Internet. These distributors of advertisements may place or access cookies on your computer which help us provide you with advertisements that are customized to your particular product preferences and improve the effectiveness of our marketing efforts. If you would like to learn more about the third party advertisers that may be aware of the fact that you visit Nota Reader Websites, and to understand your choices about having such advertisers' cookies turned off, please visit www.networkadvertising.org. Please note this does not opt you out of being served advertising. You will continue to receive generic ads.